1. Gather the ingredients and Heat the oven to 200 C.
2. Make sure your chicken is at room temperature. Dry the chicken by kitchen paper.
3. Place the roasting chicken breast side up in a deep roasting tin. Massage the softened butter all over the chicken breasts, legs and sides.
4. Tuck one-half of the lemon and one-half of the garlic into the chicken cavity. Squeeze the juice of the second half over the chicken breast, and pop the squeezed lemon into the roasting tin with the second half of the garlic bulb.
5. Place the roasting tin into the oven and cook for 1 Hr 30 minutes. Remove the chicken from the tin and wrap tightly in aluminum foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes
6. Place the roasting tin on a medium heat on the stove top and bring the juices up to a gentle simmer. Add the white wine. Stir the wine and juices thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, stir again and simmer until reduced by at least one-third
7. Unwrap the chicken and add any juices released by the chicken into the sauce and bring back to the boil. Keep warm until the lunch is ready to serve.
8. Gently, Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce on the side.
Credit : https://www.thespruceeats.com/lemon-roast-chicken-recipe-435736